It’s been an interesting week for the first week of the year.
My long holiday with Z was shortened due to work and family scheduling issues, so my meal plan for the week was impacted. I wound up making a very large prime rib on Friday night instead and skipping the pot roast entirely. I’d already bought the roast, so it’s gone in the freezer and will feature in an upcoming weekly menu.
I made Steamy Kitchen’s Prime Rib for the 4th time (twice in the last 2 weeks – once for Christmas and once for a late NY dinner with Z) and I’m totally sold on the recipe. I’ll be blogging some photos of it at some point, but wanted to say that if you’re intimidated by cooking a really expensive cut of meat, don’t be. Just follow the recipe and it’ll be fantastic.
I kind of blew my January spending freeze coming right out of the box. Because my New Year’s weekend got cut short, I wound up making changes on the fly and spending more money than I intended. I should be back on plan from here on out, though.
I kind of want to do Apartment Therapy’s January Cure, but there’s spending involved in executing some of the steps, so I’m not sure how to reconcile that. I could do the cure in February instead, or I could try to make it work with no spending.
Monday is Epiphany, which means it’s finally time to put away the Christmas decorations and settle into 2014. I’m always sad to take the decorations down, especially when it’s cold and gray outside, but I have to admit that I’m ready to be 100% committed to the new year.
I’ve recently started resubmitting my cooking blog posts to Tastespotting. I had 3 posts accepted last week and I’m making it one of my 101 Things goals to have at least 10 accepted in 2014. My Tastespotting page only has 17 things on it right now, but hopefully that will increase!
Things About Fitness, Health, & Eating
- 7 Ways to Hack Your Hip Hinge - hip hinging has always been an issue for me. I want to get back into weight lifting seriously in 2014, so I need to start working on this issue.
- Stop Falling for The Detox Scam! I get so sad and angry when I see so many bloggers talking about starting 2014 with a “detox”.
- Debunking Delusions of Fat Loss. All of this is stuff I know, but it’s always good to get a refresher.
Things That Interested Me
- Can you imagine abandoning your home and never going back (and then having it discovered in your estate after you died)? I wonder why she never went back.
- Daddy Long Legs freak me out. Don’t watch this video if you feel the same.
- 10 Historic Places That Were Saved in 2013
Things That Made Me Laugh
- These letterpress greeting cards are awesome. #25 really did make me laugh out loud and I think I might get it for H this year!
- This is from last year, but this Cyanide & Happiness strip made me giggle. I relate to the green guy.
Monday’s meal plan is coming up tomorrow and I’m looking forward to a productive week!