I got a surprise invitation to a Bat Mitzvah on Friday night and had the best time. I’d forgotten how much fun those parties are! The DJ at this one was particularly creative and had the kids running all over the place on scavenger hunts and games – equally fun for the adults who were called upon to provide a left shoe or a single earring or some other object for documentation!
The rest of the week was filled with work, work, and more work. We’re finally getting back into the swing of things as the schedule normalizes, and it’s kept me on my toes.
I was 90% on with my meal plan this week. Obviously since I was at the Bat Mitzvah, I didn’t make my planned salmon croquettes (instead I got to eat poached salmon and roast beef!) I still have the cans of salmon, so I’;l roll those over to next week.
The January spending freeze took a little hit. I have been working from home so long and my weight has fluctuated so much that I didn’t have anything appropriate to wear to the party on Friday. I lucked out with a quick shopping trip to Kohl’s and a little gray dress and a pair of tights for $48.
One of my projects for last week was to get a bunch of the junk cleaned out of my closet so that next month I can get the dresser installed and the whole closet project finished. I set myself a goal of just removing 5 items a day. Once I got started, I usually got quite a bit more than that done, and as a result, most of the stuff in my closet is now stuff that actually belongs there. Plus I added a few more items to my stack of things to Freecycle. Whoo!
I think I’m going to bail on the January cure. While the intentions of it are good, the items in the list don’t quite fit with what I need to be doing and focusing on this month. I’m glad I started it because it did force me to survey the house and make some needed lists that will help me the rest of the year. But for now – I’m happy with what I did and I’ll maybe revisit it later in the year.
I haven’t touched my Irish course this week and I need to get back to it. I’m making it a goal to set aside time each evening for one lesson. I’ll be revisiting the first set of lessons this coming week along with the Irish Grammar that Z got me as an early birthday present.
Things That Were Interesting or Amusing
- This Jack Russell galumphing through snow deeper than he is tall just cracked me up!
- Controlling my DSLR through my phone? This is a Kickstarter project that I just might contribute to!
- I do a lot of these things already, but reviewing this list of 18 Kitchen Habits is definitely a good reminder.
- If you ever need back copies of your IRS filings (say for a loan or a mortgage) and for some reason can’t find them? Now you can download them directly from the IRS with no delay and no waiting.
Things for the House
- Be More With Less posted a list of 25 Ways to Simplify Your Life. The subtitle is “In 10 mins or less” but some of those are more than 10 min projects. Even so, it’s a good list and I plan to revisit it.
- I recognize that I have a box problem and I probably need an intervention, but I do love these burlap covered boxes from Ikea. I know I could find a place to use them!