I’ve been addicted lately to tomato sauce poached eggs (image above). I’ll post about them soon – but really it’s simplicity itself, and so delicious for lunch or dinner!
I never realized how HARD it is to not spend money. Please tell me it’s not just me? My January spending freeze, although not 100% on target to date, has made me so much more aware of how much money I spend thoughtlessly, all the time. I have done a lot of “shopping” so far this month but no buying, and what fills my Amazon cart and dots my “to get” lists is really making me think.
My entire last week’s plan was thrown off when the garbage disposal under my kitchen sink blew a gasket. Not only did it take me 2 days to clean out the under-sink area of ground up food and gray water, it happened on the day before a holiday, so it was 3 full days before I could get a plumber out to fix it (I did try, but it was beyond my skill and patience level). So there was no cooking until Wednesday. (Luckily I had just run a load of dishes, so at least I didn’t have piles of dirty dishes sitting around.)
I read an article the other day (in a real, paper magazine, imagine that!) where the author pointed out that the 80s were more than 25 years ago, and therefore are now officially “Vintage”. Pardon me while I slip upstairs and quietly have a crisis.
I am fascinated by weather; I never want anyone to be hurt but watching these extreme storms and the power of nature is simply enthralling. One of my bucket list items is to go storm chasing myself and take photos. Something like this: Mike Hollingshead’s photos.
And finally, I got some early gift cards for my birthday this coming week, so I bought myself a present: Shun Premier Chef’s Knife, 8-Inch. Isn’t it pretty? I can’t wait until it gets here! I also bought a magnetic knife storage strip, but I’m not quite sure where I’m going to hang it yet. My cabinets are too low to accommodate my largest knife, so I’m going to have to get creative!
- High protein diets contribute to LESS frailty in older women. via Breaking Muscle
- This slideshow about the reality behind Instagram feeds had me laughing for real.
- “Detox diets” make me ragey. Precision Nutrition wrote an excellent article explaining why they’re potentially bad for you.
- These videos with digitally enhanced flight paths of birds are fascinating.
- Speaking of nutrition, this article about missing the big picture when it comes to nutrition and food is just spot on – and it’s worth it to take the time to read all the other articles linked through.
- I don’t drink tonic very often (even though I love it) because I’m mildly allergic to quinine. But I still want to make this tonic syrup for a few drinks in the heat of the coming summer.
- From the very beginning I have spoken out against the use of anti-bacterial soap. I feel vindicated.
- Some of these home interior design ideas are really cool and some of them freak me out.